In 1958, J. Marshall and Rosemary McAteer opened McAteer’s Restaurant as a cafeteria to be filled with both college students and community members. The store served food on one side and school supplies on the other. Open from 6 AM to 10 PM, the restaurant was specifically for the campus, but also the community. The McAteers had eight children, each of which worked in the restaurant growing up with their own shift. In the 1970s, the restaurant’s dinner model changed to breakfast & lunch and in 1982, Tim McAteer took the business over from his parents.
McAteer’s Restaurant specializes in breakfast & lunch and is famous for its omelets of any kind, reubens, and club sandwiches. The business tries to keep its food products as close to home as possible, obtaining most of its meat and produce from the Fairmont and Clarksburg areas.