Business Licenses

Register Your Business With the West Virginia State Tax Department

Any person who is engaging in any business activity in West Virginia must register with the West Virginia State Tax Department before commencing business activities in the state. This includes, but is not limited to, any

  • Association
  • Body politic
  • Business trust
  • Club
  • Corporation
  • Estate
  • Firm
  • Individual
  • Joint venture
  • Partnership
  • Political subdivision
  • Receiver
  • Society or other group or combination acting as unit
  • Syndicate
  • Trust

A business activity is all purposeful revenue-generating activity engaged in or caused to be engaged in with the object of gain or economic benefit, either direct or indirect.

Registration Questions

Questions about registering your business with the West Virginia State Tax Department need to be directed to the following:

  • Phone: 800-WVA-TAXS (1-800-982-8297)
  • Local Office: North Central Regional Office
    153 West Main Street
    Clarksburg, WV 26301
    Phone: 304-326-0635

Locating Your Business

After finding a potential site, zoning regulations require that your business activity be permitted at your chosen location. You can find maps with zoning information for all of the City of Fairmont on our website or by contacting our Planning Department as follows:

  • Local Office: City of Fairmont - City Hall
    200 Jackson Street
    Suite 301
    Fairmont, WV 26554
    Phone: 304-366-6211, ext. 333
  • Zoning Maps

Receiving your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

You are required by Federal Law to register your business with the Internal Revenue Service to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN).

Questions about applying for a FEIN need to be directed to the following:

The Application

New applications for a business license should be made in person at: 

City of Fairmont - City Hall
200 Jackson Street
Suit 301
Fairmont, WV 26554
Phone: 304-366-6211

Applicants must have:

  • A driver's license, state identification card, or another official photo ID
  • A Federal Tax Employment Identification Number (FEIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)
  • A West Virginia State Sales Tax Number
  • A West Virginia State Business Registration Certificate
  • A West Virginia ABCA License (For Wine / Liquor / Beer Applicants)
  • A West Virginia Contractors License (if applicable)

To apply for a business license, please complete a Business License Application detailing your business activity, location, ownership details and other relevant information. We will use this information provided to create a business account and a customized license for your business.

If applicable, you can complete the Home Occupation Affidavit here.

If applicable, you can complete the Mobile Vending Affidavit here.

Business License Fees

At the time of application, you will be assessed a Business License Fee based on your type of business. If necessary, inspections will need to be completed prior to payment. For certain new business applications, license fees for the current billing period must be paid at the time the application is filed. You may pay your business license fee online.

Building Inspections

A building inspection will be scheduled upon submission of a Business License Application. A building inspection is required for specific businesses that have been determined to have a potential impact on public safety or community welfare. Once scheduled, our City Inspection Department will visit the business establishment, meet the business owner and conduct and explain the results of their inspection.

Contracting Licenses

All contractors doing jobs in the City of Fairmont over $2,500 must obtain a City Business License. If the contracting job is under $2,500, only a General Handyman License is needed.

One Year License Term & Renewal

Your business license must be renewed annually before July 1. Approximately 45 days before the expiration date of your license certificate, you will be mailed a renewal package. If there have been changes to your business, such as change of location, change of business, change of officer / owner, you must indicate this in writing. If you fail to receive a renewal package, please contact the Business License Clerk at 304-366-6211.

Business License renewal periods run from July 1 through June 30. Once the renewal is paid, the new license will be mailed.