Business & Occupation Tax
City of Fairmont's ordinance number 1655, with an effective date of October 8, 2015, provides for the imposition, administration, collection and enforcement of a Consumers Sales and Service Tax and a Complimentary Use Tax of 1% on state taxable sales. This legislation is effective July 1, 2016.
Also effective July 1, 2016, the City is reducing the Business and Occupation Tax rate on Retail sales from $0.39 per $100 of gross receipts to $0.35 per $100 of gross receipts.
Also effective July 1, 2016, the City is eliminating the Business and Occupation Tax on the Wholesale category and eliminating the Business and Occupation Tax on the Manufacturing category.
There is a tax charged on gross revenues of every entity conducting business within the corporate limits of this municipality. The rate, per $100.00 of gross revenue, varies by business classification.
- See Business and Occupation Tax: Part 7 of Article 763 of the City Code.
- See Business and Occupation Tax Administrative Rules
- See Business and Occupation Tax Form- Quarterly
- See Business and Occupation Tax Form- Monthly
- See Business and Occupation Tax Form- Annually
- Business and Occupation Tax Trend Report
Under Home Rule, City of Fairmont's ordinance number 1654, with an effective date of October 8, 2015, offers taxpayers Business and Occupation Tax credits in four categories. Taxpayers can use forms available on this website to make application to the Finance Director. More information is available on the application and reporting forms or by calling the B&O Tax Manager at 304-366-6212 ext. 323. The four categories are as follows:
- New or Expanded Business and Job Creation Tax Credit
- Re-Occupancy of a Vacant Structure Tax Credit
- Historic District Tax Credit
- Anniversary Tax Credit
In order to encourage the location of new or expanded business within the corporate limits of Fairmont, a tax credit is offered to such businesses who meet the criteria.
B&O Tax Credit forms
- B&O Tax Application for Credit (PDF)
- Application for Anniversary Credit Form (PDF)
- B&O Reporting Credits Sch D New or Expanded (PDF)
- B&O Reporting Credits Sch E Re-Occupancy (PDF)
- B&O Reporting Credits Sch F Historic District (PDF)
- B&O Reporting Credits Sch G Anniversary (PDF)
For questions or concerns, please contact the B&O Tax Office at 304-366-6212, ext. 323 or email the B&O Tax Office.
|Business and Occupation Tax Classifications||Rate per $100|
|All Other Public Utilities||$1.00|
|Banking and Other Financial Institutions||$1.00|
|Electric Power Companies (sales and demand)||$3.00|
|Electric Power Companies (sales and demand domestic purposes and commercial lighting)||$4.00|
|Natural Gas Companies||$3.00|
|Rents and Royalties||$1.00|
|Value of Production of Natural Resources||$1.00|